When you were pregnant did you wish for a boy or a girl?
As you may or may not know, we have a four year old girl. So, this second time around, we kind of want to have a baby boy. Now, calm down…don’t get me wrong. We’d be happy with either! Truly. But, it would be fun to have a boy so we could have a mini-hubs much like we have a mini-ModernMami in the house.
Because we want to have fun in trying to conceive, we decided to try some of the methods out there for conceiving a boy. A Google search quickly brought up many sites with many different suggestions for what we should do to up the chances of having a boy. Many of the recommendations are just old wives’ tales, some are a bit more scientific in nature. Either way, we had fun reading about them and figuring out the best combination for us to try. At one time, we joked about making a detailed spreadsheet of the different methods and where each overlapped, so we could find the optimal time for making a boy. But…then that got way too complicated. So, let’s get into the gritty details and learn…
How to Conceive a Boy
Dr. Landrum Shettles, author of How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby, says that Y bearing sperm (the ones that make a boy) swim faster, but die rapidly. On the other hand, female bearing sperm are slower, but stronger and live longer. I’m not even going to get into the implications of that for how men and women act. Let’s just stick to the theory.
Dr. Shettles suggests that there should be no sperm near your egg when it’s released and you should quickly have intercourse to have a large amount of Y sperm near the egg. This confuses me a bit since another tip he offers is to time sexual intercourse about 12 hours before ovulation occurs. (So, do you have sex right before or right after ovulating?) Some other tips from Dr. Shettles I found on the About Pregnancy Channel:
- Men should avoid ejaculation for 4-5 days before ovulation.
- Use positions to place the sperm as close to the cervix as possible, including rear entry positions.
- Females should have an orgasm to help move the sperm towards the egg.
Apparently, what you eat can affect the sex of your baby. Who knew? What I’m unsure of is if the suggested diet is to be followed by the woman or man. Regardless, some suggested foods to eat if you’re trying to have a boy (again from the About Pregnancy Channel):
- Meat, particularly beef
- Salty snacks, like chips
- Additionally, it’s recommended that the man give himself a caffeine shot right before having sex. Specifically, men should drink a big cup of coffee or soda (not caffeine-free of course) about 15-30 minutes before intercourse to give the boy sperm a push.
Other food related tips for increasing the chances of making a boy include:
- Don’t eat cold fruits. You should eat them at room temperature.
- Eat foods rich in alkaline, such as lemons, watermelons, tomatoes, and broccoli.
- Increase vegetable consumption.
- Eat foods high in potassium: bananas, apples, potatoes, and steak.
- Eat high-glucose foods.
- Increase your calorie intake (for the woman).
- Don’t skip breakfast and eat cereals.
As if trying to time when to have sex wasn’t enough, you also need to worry about how you’re having sex. It seems the position you use can affect whether or not you conceive a boy. Suggested positions for a boy:
- Standing up
- Doggy style
- Man on top
- Dominate positions
Confused? Me too. It seems the best position for having a boy is…all of them!
Other Tips for Having a Baby Boy
Outside of using the Dr. Shettles method, or following the “boy diet,” there are some general suggestions I came across. Some seem contradictory to each other or to those already mentioned, but they include:
- Men should wear boxers.
- The man should have an orgasm first.
- Only have sex on the even days of the month.
- The man should initiate sex.
- Have sex at night.
- You should have sex during the quarter moon phase. Avoid sex during the new or full moon phases.
- Use the Chinese Gender Chart to decide when to have sex and conceive.
- Refrain from having intercourse until 2 days prior to ovulation and then have intercourse daily until ovulation has occurred.
Whew! Is that enough information for you on what to do, when and how to have sex so that you can conceive a baby boy? It’s almost overkill, isn’t it? We’ve been laughing at some of these suggestions since we first came across them. We have tried some of them so far. But, truthfully, how in the world would we ever know if and which method worked? We won’t. So, in the meantime, we’re just having fun trying.
Did you try any specific methods for having either a boy or a girl? Let me hear the most crazy, ridiculous, and outrageous ideas you’ve heard or tried for conceiving either a boy or girl.